Microenvironmental and Metabolic Health Sciences
Microenvironmental and Metabolic Health Sciences
(*Cell Signaling Lab)
Quality of Lipids (QOL)" for "Quality of Life (QOL)
Lipids serve as the largest energy source, cell membrane components, and bioactive mediators. Lipids are major environmental substances supplied as nutrients and spatiotemporally regulate a variety of biological responses in response to given microenvironmental cues within tissues. Our research focuses on the regulation of biological networks driven by lipids and their metabolites. By taking advantages of an array of gene-manipulated mice for lipid-metabolizing enzymes and receptors, we aim to clarify novel lipid-orchestrated mechanisms underlying various diseases such as metabolic and immune disorders. Knowledges obtained from these approaches will be translated to humans toward discovery of new biomarkers or druggable targets.
- Inazumi T, Yamada K, Shirata N, Sato H, Taketomi Y, Morita K, Hohjoh H, Tsuchiya S, Oniki K, Watanabe T, Sasaki Y, Oike Y, Ogata Y, Saruwatari J,Murakami M, Sugimoto Y.Prostaglandin E2-EP4 axis promotes lipolysis and fibrosis in adipose tissue leading to ectopic fat deposition and insulin resistance. Cell Rep. 33, 108265, 2020.
- Watanabe K, Taketomi Y, Miki Y, Kugiyama K, Murakami M. Group V secreted phospholipase A2 plays a protective role against aortic dissection. J. Biol. Chem. 295, 10092-10111, 2020. [Editors’ Picks]
- Sato H, Taketomi Y, Miki Y, Murase R, Yamamoto K, Murakami M. Secreted phospholipase PLA2G2D contributes to metabolic health by mobilizing omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in white adipose tissue. Cell Rep. 31, 107579, 2020.
- Murakami M, Sato H, Taketomi Y. Updating phospholipase A2 biology. Biomolecules. 10, E1457, 2020 (review)
- Mori A, Hatano T, Inoshita T, Shiba-Fukushima K, Koinuma T, Meng H, Kubo SI, Spratt S, Cui C, Yamashita C, Miki Y, Yamamoto K, Hirabayashi T,Murakami M, Takahashi Y, Shindou H, Nonaka T, Hasegawa M, Okuzumi A, Imai Y, Hattori N. Parkinson’s disease-assocaitaed iPLA2-VIA/PLA2G6 regulates neuronal functions and a-synuclein stability through membrane remodeling. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 116, 20689-20699, 2019.
- Murakami M. Novel functions of phospholipase A2s: Overview. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1864, 763-765, 2019 (review)
- Shimanaka Y, Kono N, Taketomi Y, Arita M, Okayama Y, Tanaka Y, Nishito Y, Mochizuki T, Kusuhara H, Adibekian A, Cravatt BF, Murakami M, Arai H. ω3 fatty acid epoxides are autocrine mediators that control the magnitude of IgE-mediated mast cell activation. Nat. Med. 23, 1287-1297, 2017
- Murase R, Taketomi Y, Miki Y, Nishito Y, Saito M, Fukami K, Yamamoto K, Murakami M. Group III phospholipase A2 promotes colitis and colorectal cancer. Sci. Rep. 7, 12261, 2017.
- Irie A, Yamamoto K, Miki Y, Murakami M. Phosphatidylethanolamine dynamics are required for osteoclast fusion. Sci Rep. 7, 46715, 2017
- Hirabayashi T, Anjo T, Kaneko A, Senoo Y, Shibata A, Takama H, Yokoyama K, Nishito Y, Ono T, Taya C, Muramatsu K, Fukami K, Muñoz-Garcia A, Brash AR, Ikeda K, Arita M, Akiyama A, Murakami M. PNPLA1 has a crucial role in skin barrier function by directing acylceramide biosynthesis. Nat. Commun. 8, 14609, 2017.
- Yamamoto, K., Miki, Y., Sato, H., Nishito, Y., Gelb, M.H., Taketomi, Y., Murakami, M. Expression and function of group IIE phospholipase A2 in mouse skin. J. Biol. Chem. 291, 15602-15613, 2016.
- Miki Y, Kidoguchi Y, Sato M, Taketomi Y, Taya C, Muramatsu K, Gelb MH, Yamamoto K, Murakami M. Dual roles of group IID phospholipase A2 in inflammation and cancer. J Biol Chem. 291, 15588-15601, 2016.
- Murakami M, Yamamoto K, Miki Y, Murase R, Sato H, Taketomi Y. The roles of the secreted phospholipase A2 (sPLA2) gene family in immunology. Adv. Immunol. 132, 91-134, 2016 (review)
- Murase R, Sato H, Yamamoto K, Ushida A, Nishito Y, Ikeda K, Kobayashi T, Yamamoto T, Taketomi Y, Murakami M. Group X secreted phospholipase A2 releases ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, suppresses colitis and promotes sperm fertility. J. Biol. Chem. 291, 6895-6911, 2016
- Yamamoto K, Miki Y, Sato M, Taketomi Y, Nishito Y, Taya C, Muramatsu K, Ikeda K, Nakanishi H, Taguchi R, Kambe N, Kabashima K, Lambeau G, Gelb MH, Murakami M. The role of group IIF secreted phospholipase A2 in epidermal homeostasis and hyperplasia. J. Exp. Med. 212, 1901-1919, 2015
- Vijay R, Gelb MH, Miki Y, Yamamoto K, Murakami M, Perlman S. Critical role for secreted phospholipase A2 group IID in age-related susceptibility to infection with the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus. J. Exp. Med. 212,1851-1868, 2015
- Sato H, Taketomi Y, Ushida A, Isogai Y, Kojima T, Hirabayashi T, Miki Y, Yamamoto K, Nishito Y, Kobayashi T, Ikeda K, Taguchi R, Hara S, Ida S, Miyamoto Y, Watanabe M, Baba H, Miyata K, Oike Y, Gelb MH, Murakami M. The adipocyte-inducible secreted phospholipases PLA2G5 and PLA2G2E play distinct roles in obesity. Cell Metab. 20, 119-132, 2014
- Taketomi Y, Ueno N, Kojima T, Sato H, Murase R, Yamamoto K, Tanaka S, Sakanaka M, Nakamura M, Nishito Y, Kawana M, Kambe N, Ikeda K, Taguchi R, Nakamizo S, Kabashima K, Gelb MH, Arita M, Yokomizo T, Nakamura M, Watanabe K, Hirai H, Nakamura M, Okayama Y, Ra C, Aritake K, Urade Y, Morimoto K, Sugimoto Y, Shimizu T, Narumiya S, Hara S, Murakami M. Mast cell maturation is driven via a group III phospholipase A2-prostaglandin D2-DP1 receptor paracrine axis. Nat. Immunol. 14, 554-563, 2013
- Miki Y, Yamamoto K, Taketomi Y, Sato H, Shimo K, Kobayashi T, Ishikawa Y, Ishii T, Nakanishi H, Ikeda K, Taguchi R, Kabashima K, Arita M, Arai H, Lambeau G, Bollinger JM, Hara S, Gelb MH, Murakami M. Lymphoid tissue phospholipase A2 group IID resolves contact hypersensitivity by driving anti-inflammatory lipid mediators. J. Exp. Med. 210, 1217-1234, 2013
- Sato H, Isogai Y, Masuda S, Taketomi Y, Miki Y, Kamei D, Hara S, Kobayashi T, Ishikawa Y, Ishii T, Ikeda K, Taguchi R, Ishimoto Y, Suzuki N, Yokota Y, Hanasaki K, Suzuki-Yamamoto T, Yamamoto K, Murakami M. Physiological roles of group X secreted phospholipase A2 in reproduction, gastrointestinal phospholipid digestion, and neuronal function. J. Biol. Chem. 286, 11616-11631, 2011
- Sato H, Taketomi T, Isogai Y, Miki Y, Yamamoto K, Masuda S, Hosono T, Arata S, Ishikawa Y, Ishii T, Kobayashi T, Nakanishi H, Ikeda K, Taguchi R, Hara S, Kudo I, Murakami M. Group III secreted phospholipase A2 regulates epididymal sperm maturation and fertility in mice. J. Clin. Invest. 120, 1400-1414, 2011
- Aiba T, Saito T, Hayashi A, Sato S, Yunokawa H, Fukami M, Hayashi Y, Mizuno K, Sato Y, Kojima Y, Ohsako S. Exploring disease-specific methylated CpGs in human male genital abnormalities by using MSD-AFLP. J Reprod 65, 491-497, 2019
- Sarma SN, Nagano R, Ohsako S. Tyroxine hydroxylase-positive neuronal cell population is increased by temporal dioxin exposure at early stage of differentiation from human embryonic stem cells. Int J Mol Sci 20, E2687, 2019
- Aiba T, Saito T, Hayashi A, Sato S, Yunokawa H, Maruyama R, Fujibuchi W, Ohsako S. Does the prenatal bisphenol A exposure alter DNA methylation levels in the mouse hippocampus?: Analysis using a high-sensitivity methylome technique. Genes Environ 40, 12, 2018
- Kurita H, Aiba T, Saito T, Ohsako S. Detection of dioxin-induced demethylation of mouse Cyp1a1 gene promoter by a new labeling method for short DNA fragments possessing 5′-methylcytosine at the end. Genes Environ 40, 1, 2018
- Ohsako S, Aiba T, Miyado M, Fukami M, Ogata T, Hayashi Y, Mizuno K, Kojima Y. Expression of xenobiotic biomarkers CYP1-Family in preputial tissue of patients with hypospadias and phimosis and its association with DNA methylation level of SRD5A2 minimal promoter. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 74, 240-247, 2018
- Aiba T, Saito T, Hayashi A, Sato S, Yunokawa H, Maruyama T, Fujibuchi W, Kurita H, Tohyama C, Ohsako S. Methylated site display (MSD)-AFLP, a sensitive and affordable method for analysis of CpG methylation profiles. BMC Mol Biol 18, 7, 2017
- Amenya HZ, Tohyama C, Ohsako S. Dioxin induces Ahr-dependent robust DNA demethylation of the Cyp1a1 promoter via Tdg in the mouse liver. Sci Rep 6, 34989, 2016
- Ohsako S. Perinatal exposure to environmental chemicals induces epigenomic changes in offspring. Genes Environ 33, 43-49, 2011 (review)
- Ohsako S, Fukuzawa N, Ishimura R, Kawakami T, Wu Q, Nagano R, Zaha H, Sone H, Yonemoto J, Tohyama C. Comparative contribution of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor gene to perinatal stage development and dioxin-induced toxicity between the urogenital complex and testis in the mouse. Biol Reprod 82, 636-643, 2010
- Wu Q, Suzuki JS, Zaha H, Lin TM, Peterson RE, Tohyama C, Ohsako S. Differences in gene expression and benzo[a]pyrene-induced DNA adduct formation in the liver of three strains of female mice with identical AhRb2 genotype treated with 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin and/or benzo[a]pyrene. J Appl Toxicol 28, 724-733, 2008
- Sakata Y, Yoshioka W, Tohyama C, Ohsako S. Internal genomic sequence of human CYP1A1 gene is involved in superinduction of dioxin-induced CYP1A1 transcription by cycloheximide. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 355, 687-692, 2007
- Ohsako S, Tohyama C. Comparison of study controls. Environ Health Perspect 113: A582; author reply, 2005
- Ohsako S, Kubota K, Kurosawa S, Takeda K, Wu Q, Ishimura R, Tohyama C. Alterations of gene expression in adult male rat testis and pituitary shortly after subacute administration of the antiandrogen flutamide. J Reprod Dev 49, 275-290, 2003
- Sakaue M, Ohsako S, Ishimura R, Kurosawa S, Kurohmaru M, Hayashi Y, Aoki Y, Yonemoto J, Tohyama C. Bisphenol-A affects spermatogenesis in the mature rat even at a low dose. J Occupational Health 43, 185-190, 2001
- Ohsako S, Miyabara Y, Nishimura N, Kurosawa S, Sakaue M, Ishimura R, Sato M, Aoki Y, Sone H, Tohyama C, and Yonemoto J. Maternal exposure to a low dose of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) suppressed the development of reproductive organs of male rats: dose-dependent increase of mRNA levels of 5α-reductase type 2 in contrast to decrease of androgen receptor in the pubertal ventral prostate. Toxicol Sci 60, 132-143, 2001